Friday, August 6, 2010

It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now...?

Picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor. Reachin' for the phone 'cause I can't fight it anymore. And I wonder if I ever cross your mind. For me it happens all the time...

Those are introductory lyrics to song called "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum. It's definitely one of my favorite songs this year, but it wasn't until the other day, that I actually started paying attention to the lyrics. And I wonder how many of us out there find themselves in these situations; wanting to reach for the phone, but not acting on that impulse. Rather, we pocket that impulse, and save it for a rainy day. Most of the time, that day never comes, and we continue to set aside those impulses, and they pile up into the unknown...farther and farther from our reach, until simply forgotten. Gone baby gone.

I wonder how many of us live our lives like this, simply setting thoughts aside or actions that never see the light of day. Like puppets on broken strings, a misstep here or there - gone with a flash. Is it simply in our nature to set "things" aside until some point in the foreseeable future...? Do we perhaps over analyze things to the point where we simply surrender and say to ourselves - maybe later...maybe next week...

We've all heard the cliches, "Live like you were dying" and so on... Some will say, life is too complicated, or that there are too many obstacles on the way. Perhaps as we get older, complexities and obstacles start to fade and give way to opportunities to act on impulse, much more than in our youth. Depends on who you ask these days.

Still, we sit here and continue to wonder, if I ever cross your mind.

4 comments:

  1. Many songs capture true romance, and this is definitely one of them. My favorite this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best songs ever. Really spoke to me in more than one way. It's my ringtone and I wonder if I ever cross your mind is my gmail chat status (or whatever you call it). I found your blog from a comment you left on a blog I commented on. Very nice.
    Jamye

    http://knitrageous1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jamye, good to hear from you. I'll be sure to visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bittersweet song, one of my favorites too. I can relate to what you're saying here too...I constantly say to myself, "hmmm, I haven't talked to so-and-so for a while" but usually don't do anything about it. Maybe now I will. Nice blog. :)

    ReplyDelete