Sunday, August 1, 2010

Deep in Costa Rican Territory (Day 1)

3/11/2009 - Finally, our bags are packed. We are operating on a dangerous mix of excitement and delirium due to our lack of sleep. Then again, who the hell sleeps before heading to Costa Rica? Or as my boss stated a couple of days prior to my departure, "Who goes to Costa Rica in the middle of a recession?". Therein lies the rub. You see, this trip has been in the making for well over a year. Meticulous itineraries have been drawn and replaced ad nauseum. The land of volcanoes, ticos and great coffee awaits!

1:30pm - We finally touch down in San Jose after a ridiculous two hour joyride around the Newark airport lot, with visibility at zero and about 20 planes ahead of us. The torture was too much, and I knew right there and then, that I should have flown first class. I must admit, arriving at San Jose and feeling the immediate warmth as we walked through the gate, was a joyous occasion. Now if I can just make it thru immigration without any hiccups.."Sir, why does your passport say Santa Claus?"....

2:00pm - Well I certainly did not expect Juan Santamaria airport to be this busy... ants everywhere, bobbing and weaving on their way to baggage claims, or to exchange their hard-earned USD. Lots of folks waiting to carry our bags, into the shuttle and on to pick up our vehicle. After spending some time going over minutiae at the car rental place, our horse awaits - a burgundy Chrysler Caravan that will forever live in legend, due to its extraordinary exploits.

3:00pm - On our way to La Guacima (Shirley's house), we finally make the necessary stop at a licorera (liquor store), that's gated like Fort Knox. I swore I would get an electric shock from trying to jar the gated contraption open. Here's where I purchased the "jumping" Imperials - more on that in a bit. I soon discovered that with Jason doing all the driving, I could sit back and enjoy as many beers as possible...without interruptions. That is, until Shirley invaded the front seat. I rode over 20 minutes with her sitting on my lap, as I explored my first of many six-packs.

3:15pm - We make a pit stop at El Rancho (Manuel and Clara's), where a six-pack of Imperials follows me out the door as if to say, "we are with you all the way..". Alex proceeds to soil his pants after a chihuahua chases him around the house. Quick pictures and hi's, and on to La Guacima. Famished explorers need their chow, and there's plenty of it here, as we mow thru salads, arroz con pollo, the works. It was delicious. My first true Costa Rican dish. On we move towards the supermarket to stock up on what else....beer....rainbows of it. To our surprise, Belgian beers await for us, as if to say, "welcome - drink me". Hundreds of dollars later, we are back in La Guacima chillin', until an unexpected guest arrives.....

5:00pm and on - As the evening unfolds, Illiana delights us with her presence and brings some suitable items, such as a boombox, and a mixer (for margaritas). We love her for it of course, and she even brings a delightful fruit called Pejibaye (sp?) that is eaten with mayonnaise...don't ask. Our first Costa Rican night evolves into a music-filled event, with plenty of beers and multiple trips to the licorera for some Cuervo; a great start to our trip, dare I say an awesome first night. A surefire sign of things to come.

4 comments:

  1. It gets better, you need to write more about this... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets waaaay better! Can't wait to read it....and don't forget to mention that bottle of tequila we found in the cabinet just waiting for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the mistery bottle... probably the best tequila ever!

    ReplyDelete