Friday, November 1, 2013

How Deep is the Ocean

Notes from the Stark and Decadent Desk:  It is dark, it is gloomy. It's time to start thinking about where to travel come 2014. Revisit Paris? Shack up under palm trees and steel drums? Hike Mount Everest? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 2013 was...well ..is still...a banner year for travel. Took several mini-trips around the continental US and then tore off the bandage with a fury not seen since Brando danced his Tango...Paris beckoned. 

I guess that sort of trip whet my appetite for more International type travel. I long to see architecture and castles and surround myself in centuries-old customs. Perhaps a blend of both the ocean and the old world... somewhere in Western Europe. Away from the Vikings... 

Travel is as vital as oxygen. It is the proverbial pressing of the eject button to somehow escape the routine, the mundane aspects of our day to day. I want to get lost again in some city's streets and stumble upon empty bars and street musicians. I want to ride on the waves of its ocean and plunge into its depths and have it plunge its knife deep in my heart. So very deep that it will always stay with me. 

The need to be elsewhere is of utmost importance. It must be fulfilled by any means necessary. We cannot afford to languish under solitary roofs and meander soulless streets and stick to empty companions. Life is so much more than this. 

How deep is the ocean you ask...? Its acceptance perhaps weak and weary at time. I guess it depends on the individual and how far they are willing to go to shake off despair. To cleanse the rust and dust off familiarity. It is within familiarity that we fall victim to shallow shores, drowning us in its shallow waters, continuously scraping off the luster. It is as deep as you want it to be. Swimming lessons not required.

2 comments:

  1. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Germany and the Netherlands a year ago to see my son graduate from college. I want to go back. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grats on your son graduating!! Heck of an accomplishment. There's something about Europe that draws us back. Such a breath of fresh air. I too plan on heading back there as soon as I can

      Delete