Monday, January 13, 2014

My Little Shadow

Looking back at the blogs I've written for the past three years, I realize I've never written one about my youngest son, Julian. In lieu of his upcoming 9th birthday, I want to explore why that is.

Julian Xavier's arrival was an impromptu event which to this day makes us scratch our heads. Was is really the margaritas on that Friday night? His oldest brother was 3 months old when his Mom confirmed she was with child. "What have we done?!"..was the first thought, before we both fainted. 

I vividly recall his birth...same nose his Grandfather and I share. Didn't crack a single smile until he was about 3 months old. We wondered if he wanted new parents or a new place to live.

He first touched a soccer ball at 1 year old, and it was as if they were meant to be. Since then, the love affair has only blossomed. 

Julian's purpose has been not only to enrich our lives, but most importantly to be his older brother's most faithful companion; his protector. Alex without Julian doesn't make sense, and neither does Julian without Alex. And with a 2 year old baby sister, you can imagine how much he dotes on her. 

His ever outgoing personality has landed him friends and acquaintances everywhere. The guy can make friends with a lamp post. He is aware of everything that is happening in his school. Which teacher is getting married, which one is on vacation, which one is in the hospital...

Perhaps the reason I don't write as much about Julian is that he is a lot like me. I see a lot of myself in him. The way he talks, his mannerisms and gestures. He tries to emulate everything I do. He likes what I like, dislikes what I don't like. He is fiercely protective of those he holds dear.

Julian is my ever accompanying shadow, one that still holds my hand when attempting to cross the street. One that comes running down the stairs to greet me, when I get home from work. And I wouldn't have it any other way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment