Friday, October 8, 2010

Sometimes We Become Muddled and Lazy

I often wonder why it is that people wait for an unfortunate event to occur, before they take action. The action I speak of focuses on each one’s legacy. What will you be remembered for when you leave this Earth? How will your children remember you? Will your friends recall stories and memories from long ago where you played the main character? I know…many questions. Perhaps as one gets older, these questions creep in much more often than not. I am fortunate that my folks are both alive and that my younger brother is alive. I do not take them for granted. I speak to them at least twice a week. I reach out to my closest friends as much as I can.

When I ask these questions from others, the answers are often muddled and lazy. “Yeah you are right, maybe I should call him.” “It’s been about three weeks..I think.??” It never escapes me, how important family is, how important those few I call friends are. Life is busy, I know. It’s easy to fall into a quagmire of inactivity; a despondent state of affairs.

A dear friend of mine was here this past weekend, and we chatted about simple things. We talked about the past and brought up fantastic and incredibly funny stories. It didn’t escape me then either, how important those memories are. Years have passed and once in a while, a window opens, when you are reminded, purposely or not, that action must be taken. We must do what we can, while we can.

Legacy.... May your actions and memories linger in boisteroius laughter and joyous admiration, when you are no longer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment